Tuesday, November 11, 2008

The Boy inside the Man

It's tough being me somedays; I feel like a kid in a man's body. I used to think that I'd be stoic and reserved when I got older. Childish things would lose their luster and my thoughts would give way to more "adult" pursuits.

It ain't happening.

I still get a big smile on my face when I put a coin in a gumball machine. I still get sad at the end of a warm summer afternoon when I'm engaged in a fun activity, it reminds me of when my mom would yell out the front door, "Trout . . . time to come in, supper's ready." I still have trouble falling asleep on Christmas eve, even though the mystery has been lost.

Maybe I'm wired differently than others? Maybe there's something wrong with me? Whatever it is, I'm gonna go with it. I've decided that "stoic" and "reserved" aren't for me.

Life's too short to be an adult all the time. I have to let the kid come out and play.

9 comments:

  1. Oh man what can I say... the kid in you is fine but the pink chaps have to go :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll bet your daughter-in-law is insanely jealous of my pink chaps, Freddie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a good resolution on your part, you weren't really pulling off the whole "adult" thing very well anyways.

    In the same vein, I make a point of yelling at squirrels who are in the road when I'm driving around town. I'll roll down the window and scream at them to stop playing in the street. It's weird, but it makes me laugh every time I get to do that.

    Stoic isn't for me either.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gerbil, That is probably the funniest visual I have ever had. Trout showed me a pic of you one time so that I COULD visualize things like this.

    Steve...I think a pic of you with a pink guitar would be handy right about now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Paul, I've never allowed Trout to take a picture of me and I've never posted a picture on the internet. I don't know what he showed you, but he's full of pOOp. :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jennelle sent me a Christmas card, Gerbil.

    Looked a lot like a cruise ship photo.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Heaven help me.
    I need to run home and beat the wife.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think I'd better scan the pic and blog about it since my honesty has been called into question.

    ReplyDelete
  9. If you had to make a blog entry every time your honesty was called into question you'd need an editorial staff the size of the New York Times to keep up with all of it.

    Plus, I'll pay $$$ to stay out of the papers.
    Let's talk.

    ReplyDelete