Saturday, November 22, 2008

Guitar Hero

A few years back I took this pic of Jake, I think it captures him pretty well.

Everyone talks about their favorite guitar players and the lists include Hendrix, Clapton, B B King, Vaughn . . . etc. Well you're looking at mine. While there may be others out there that are faster on the chromatic scale or get around the circle of fifths with more authority, no one has captured my attention more than Jake.

It's pretty amazing being on stage with him, when he plays and sings, people stop dead in their tracks and notice. He plays that big black Gretsch guitar and his tone is meaty and full. Guitar players stare at his hands and shake their heads in amazement, girls of all ages stare at the whole package and smile.

I remember getting ready to play our first big time gig, we opened for the headlining band at a local Blues Festival, there were 5000 people watching, I was standing by the side of the stage waiting our turn to hop up and play - I was nervous as a cat - Jake came to me and said, "See these people, they came to hear us play and play well, none of them want us to fail, they all want their socks rocked off. Don't be nervous, let's just get on stage and have some fun."

It was supposed to be me saying that to him, I was the veteran.

Jake had picked one of his favorite songs to open our set, however the band that played right before us covered it as their last song. Jake didn't want to do the same song over again so when our band got onstage ready to play Jake said to us, let's play something in "A", he stepped up to the mic and hollered, "AND AWAY WE GO", I don't even remember what we played in that set, I just remember people running to the front of the stage dancing like mad animals.

I'll never be a Rock Star, but I'll tell you what, I wouldn't trade the gigs I've played with Jake for all the stadium crowds the Stone's have ever played to. Pure Joy!

Thanks Jake, you're my hero.

12 comments:

  1. That is so beautiful and touching! He sounds amazing. You're a lucky dad and he's a lucky son (Paul explained the connection to me). I wish I could see you both play.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the kind words, Sheryl. In this day and age when so many fathers aren't any part of their children's lives, I feel so very fortunate that I have the relationship with Jake that I do.

    And thanks for following my blog, your a peach.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was all excited that this blog or the comments attached would be ripping into Jake, or Bitty Cakes love connection would happen all over again. I guess you have to show your love for the kid SOMETIMES...it cant always be a rip fest. Although, when I am there you are beating the crap out of him a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jake actually is my Guitar hero too. I will never forget I was just starting to play and he wasn't much ahead of me (time wise. we all know he was far ahead of me in talent.) and I asked how to play some silly song, I think it was the theme to King Of The Hill. Jake just blurred through it and moved on...I was in shock! Not only had he just learned and played this song in a matter of minutes, but he had taught it to me and moved on so fast I hadn't even hit the right first note yet. There is a reason he is called Hurricane Jake.

    ReplyDelete
  6. "That's so punk rock"
    -Jack Black

    ReplyDelete
  7. Next time I visit I'm going to see if I can talk Jake into giving me an autograph. He's probably too shy for that, but it's worth a shot.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Paul, I love that you call me "Bitty Cakes"- that's adorable. Thank you.

    Trout- it's true. I have known very few father/son bonds like that in my lifetime. It's so nice to read about- good for you! And it sounds like you have a great relationship with your own Dad too. That's awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Where has that picture of Jake been hiding?!!!!! This could quite possibly be one of my top five favorite pictures that I have ever seen. Your my photography hero (among other things)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Jessica, There are fifteen or so pics from that photo shoot with Jake I'll send your way. You need to remind me though . . . I'm getting really old and forgetful.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh and Jessica dear . . . if I were half the photographer you were I'd quit my day gig.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Trout's day gig, BTW, is work as a photographer.

    ReplyDelete