Saturday, February 6, 2010

My shoes are ruined


I'm just gonna say it: I love shoes.

I have quite a few pairs of them, my interests lie mostly in sneakers. I like bright colors and unusual designs. I have had many of my shoes for years.

I have several pairs that are very dear to me, if I have a big meeting or an important day I always pick out shoes that make me feel good about myself. I recently had a couple of out-of-town business meetings that I had to attend and a friend that I was meeting for lunch. I - of course - wanted to look and feel my best, I took my current favorite shoe with me to assure everything went my way. They are made by Circa, they are light blue with black skulls all over them.

I arrived at the hotel in Utah, I was wearing my nice blue Circas. It was pretty late, but after driving six hours and drinking 6 cups of coffee, I wasn't feeling like hitting the hay quite yet. I opened the window of my room and looked out, in the distance I saw a convenience store marquee. I thought I'd walk over and get some fresh air and some Cheetos.

The walk was longer than I had first anticipated, it was probably close to a mile, I hadn't brought my jacket and was very much regretting it. It was pretty chilly, probably high 20's. I opened my Cheetos and looked out the store window at my Hotel, I decided to try a shortcut back to the room. Instead of following the road that wandered in a big "U" shape around a field, I took straight off cross country. I walked a few hundred yards when I came to a little marshy looking section, I paused and considered turning back and going to the road, I was kind of cold so I decided to slog through it. It was cold enough that I thought it would be frozen.

Three steps into the marsh I found myself knee-deep in black swamp mud. Cold, tired, angry and wet I decided to keep going. When I got back to the room I looked down at my feet and they were solid black mud. They also smelled like stagnant, fish water. I knew what I had to do, they had to go. As I bagged them in plastic and threw them in the trash I felt a great sadness, the shoes that had been on my feet through many happy moments were being discarded in a far away trash can like common garbage. Shoes that had been on stage with me, at work, on vacation . . . now gone.

It was totally my fault, had I not been so ill-prepared for my journey they would have remained clean and in my collection. Those shoes paid the ultimate price for my lack of concern.

May they rest in peace.


No comments:

Post a Comment